Everyone is Responsible for PII
West Virginia Executive Branch
Everyone is Responsible for Protecting Personal Information, (PI)
Am I responsible for protecting personal information (PI)?
Each Department must protect personal information (PI). Each Department must also comply with privacy laws. The Privacy Office has developed policies and procedures to protect PI, but everyone in the Department must work together to achieve our privacy and security goals.
Here’s what you can do:
- Read and understand your confidentiality agreement.
- Take the privacy training courses.
- Follow all the policies and procedures that apply to your job and activities.
- Ask questions if you aren’t sure about how to comply with the policies and procedures.
- Use the resources that your privacy officer makes available.
- Tell your privacy officer about privacy complaints or security concerns.
- Report any mistakes that accidentally expose PI immediately.
Our privacy program empowers you to make good decisions about PI. If you are ever asked to use or share PI in a way that isn’t consistent with the privacy policies, you must say no!
Note: Your agency/bureau/department/division may have specific requirements – always check your policies and procedures. If you have questions, contact your Privacy Official.